Saturday, December 10, 2005

Black Moves




















Black Moves

My college chum, Moise Dent decided to challenge me to a game of chess. Little did he know that I'm strong with black. Therefore, I had to prove it to him, not with a lecture but with Black Moves. But to save you from a similar fate let me explain:

Chess the brilliant contribution from the East is not only the noblest and most excellent of all games but finds itself between art and science thus it’s undeniably one of the greatest intellectual pursuits ever created. My oldest brother, Tony introduced me to this magnificent board game and I honed my skills and affection for it whilst working in juvenile corrections. Playing chess with the youth was not only a way of relearning the game, it was a way of connecting and sharing a part of me with them as well. It’s a game that does away with race, religion, age, gender or status. The game brought out latent qualities in these disenfranchised youth. Any game or thing can be used as a life lesson or a teaching moment. A good player can see four or five future moves of his opponent. Blacks move, Queen to A-1, Checkmate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home