Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Reconnection

























Reconnection

I remember my first trip outside of Ohio was to Niagara Falls, Canada and that was via bus with my family. My stepfather took my brother and I to Atlanta, Georgia and it was the first time that we'd been on a plane. I'll never forget it because we met the Los Angeles Dodgers and a rookie pitcher named Steve Howe, who was so kind to my brother and I. It was also memorable because we stayed at the Hyatt Regency. We also stayed at the Hilton, where the Dodgers were staying. Furthermore it was memorable because my brother and I walked home from Fulton County Stadium in order to save our vacation money but unbeknownst to us the Atlanta child murders were taking place then. The Atlanta child murders were the murders of young black males. No one approached us or bothered us, the times we walked black from the baseball games. I'm moving black in time reflecting, reconnecting and resurrecting memories and days gone by. I felt that my parents and I had somehow reconnected on a level that we had never experienced. It's not only lovers who grow apart, but families do too. I believe this visit brought us all closer together. Even though, my other siblings weren't with us physically, it is my wholehearted belief, that the bedrock of the family, my stepfather and mother inspired in them a feeling and need for reconnection. Our memories can be resevoirs and can unlock the vaults that hold all the treasures to reconnect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home