Wednesday, August 17, 2005

From St. Clair to Sur
















From St. Clair to Sur

Look yall, I made it out of da ghetto. At least that's what some would like us to believe. Ghetto is a Yiddish word and was in reference to where Jews were forced to live. Therefore, how can we ever be ghetto as we're not Jewish and don't speak Yiddish though we might speak gibberish. Words convey meaning and each name carries with it some of its attribute. Therefore, take to good names. At the same time we must also create a good atmosphere. Somehow we have forgotten this and have attached monikers that are poisonous to the soul, destructive to the mind and deadly to the body. We didn't create these appellations for ourselves but somehow we've come to take them as terms of endearment. We must remember as one of my dear friends who's like a brother often commented, "We were never meant to get off the plantation alive." We've survived and now we must share this story with the universe. Each step I take is as if I'm taking a step with Harriet Tubman. It's as if I'm following a Sojourner for Truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila M. Wright said...

Hello loved one. I hope that your family is doing well...

From the Clair huh? I would have never guessed...I guess you are bigger than any isolated experience...I am thankful for your vision and the exposure you provide to all of us. You have been a changing agent for my thinking and I am entertaining a more global perspective. It's funny how the more conscious I become of global and local needs..the more I go inward for guidance...

I have only been given charge to my local community for now...but I suspect as I show proper stewardship over that...my influence will grow...or I should say my opportunity to be used on a greater level will be apparent. I hope one day I can visit the path that your footsteps have created and see the beauty up close. But until then...thank you my spiritual mentor for sharing.

Much Love

your sister in this era

Sheila

6:30 PM  
Blogger sarah musa said...

asslamu-alaykum wa rahmatuallah

subhan'Allah. words do have there history and meaning. we really take them for granted. It's amazing how in the Arabic lang. a few words can mean so much. Sometimes it can take months just to go over a few pages of a text. subhan'Allah!

Coincidently, I was just reading a hadith concerning truth and a part of "...not getting off the plantation alive" is to stand up to the truth. if i could i would like to share it.

The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, "Help your brother, whether he is oppressing or oppressed." The Companions asked, "We shall help him if he is oppressed, but how can we help him if he is the oppressor?" The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) replied, "Stop him [from his oppression]" (Bukhari) It is not a matter of siding with Muslims or non-Muslims; it is a matter of siding with the truth.

So, standing up for the truth is an act of justice and justice is a form of mercy. la illah illallah.

May we all be Sojourner’s for Truth (ameen).

jazakallahu-khair br. luqmaan.

take care,
sarah

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home